A Writing Prompt With Karen Williams

All week, I will feature snippets from an interview I did recently with Karen Williams. Karen Williams is an instructor at Chatham University and Seton Hill University. She has lived in Haiti and Africa. Karen writes children’s books, non-fiction and poetry. She is the author of over a dozen books. Her latest book, My Name is Sangoel, is a children’s picture book co-authored with Khadra Mohammed and illustrated by Catherine Stock. My Name is Sangoel is the story of a refugee boy from Sudan who is resettled in the United States. The book comes out July 15th. You can purchase it through Barnes and Noble’s website. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/My-Name-Is-Sangoel/Karen-Williams/e/9780802853073

Do you write every day?

I try to fit in writing time daily but it doesn’t always happen. I am always at my desk, though and even if I am not actually writing, the work is related to my writing life. Writing has become a business and this makes it difficult to find time for quality writing time. I need to respond to publishers and agents. I also teach and do school visits. These things always take preparation.

I have an office in my house and that is where I usually write on my laptop. I try to get to my writing early in the day and push other work aside. But, often, the busy work weighs too heavily on me. So, I just have to do it and get it out of the way. Then, I can write. Unfortunately, my true writing time gets whittled down to an hour or so. Just when I am feeling good about my work it is time to stop.

When I get the chance I take off by myself to find a new place to write. I often go to a coffee house in a different town, perhaps an hour or two away, somewhere I find beautiful and inspiring. I like Mugsy’s in New Wilmington and when I have more than one day, an overnight or two at a bed and breakfast provides hours of writing space. It’s amazing what getting out of my office can do for my writing. Then, I don’t even care what office work I have to do. I just write.

Take a tip from Karen Williams. Go off somewhere outside of your regular writing space and shake off day-to-day worries so you can clear your mind for writing.

Comments

  1. Thanks for interviewing Karen! She is one of my favorite people at Chatham. I also enjoy writing in different locations. I find that a coffee shop often allows me the freedom to write more than at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, interviewing Karen was fun! I am glad you enjoyed the interview.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts