An interview with Jason Jordan of decomP Magazine

The Basics:

Why is decomP called decomP? Or, how did the name evolve from Decomposition Magazine?

I honestly don't know! Mike Smith was the one who founded the magazine. He was also the one who shortened the name. Decomposition Magazine is a mouthful, so perhaps he didn't want it to be that long after months of writing and saying it.

How did you become involved in decomP?

Mike Smith guest spoke in my first creative writing class in undergrad. He was holding a writing contest at the time that I won. After he published my work, he asked me if I'd be interested in joining the staff as a reviewer. I did, and three years later, I took the reins when he decided to move on.

What is your favorite curse word?

My favorite curse word, by far, is "fuck." It can be used in so many different ways, plus it conveys anger so well.

Behind the Scenes:

What do you look for in decomP submissions? What kind of writing excites you guys the most?

I can only speak for myself in this regard, but I look for a compelling, well-written story. That's a standard answer, I guess, but it's true. I want an interesting character, plot, or a combination of the two. Experimental pieces win me over when I like the idea, diction, and sentence structure. Humor's always good, but not a requirement.

What are the biggest flaws in submissions you reject?

We receive several submissions from writers who obviously haven't read any of our published work nor our submission guidelines. It's important to get on a magazine's good side from the start. Otherwise, your chances of acceptance diminish more quickly. As for content, most submissions don't hold my attention from start to finish. That's the predominant flaw, I'd say.

Name your top five favorite zombie movies.

I'm actually not a fan of zombie movies or zombies in general. But, I liked the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead. That one was good.

Some other stuff:

If I am not mistaken, all of the editors of decomP are kind of far away from each other? How does that change your working relationship?

Yeah, Jason B. and Jac are in Chicago. Jared's in Arkansas. I'm in Indiana, for the time being. Thankfully e-mail is the great equalizer, allowing us to communicate fast and efficiently. It does limit us in the sense that we can't accept postal submissions unless we wanted to make things difficult for ourselves, but with many publications accepting online submissions (through a submissions manager or e-mail), it's not a big deal.

How long have you been editing in general, not just for decomP?

I've been editing for a few years now. I started by joining the staff of my undergrad literary journal--I don't remember when, exactly. Editing is an incredibly rewarding experience. It has its lows, like everything else, but they're few and far between. It's great being able to shamelessly champion other people's work instead of your own. ;)

I know you are also a writer. How does your editorial work inform your writing?

It informs my writing by reinforcing what works and what doesn't, in my eyes. Also, pieces we've published have inspired my own stories.

Kill or be killed?

Kill!

Comments

Popular Posts