An Interview with Courtney Lora Lang

On Her Work:

How often do you write poetry?

Sporadically. Right now, I do a lot of revision. I'm also writing short essays for money through Amazon's Mechanical Turk. It helps me get over my irrational fear of sentences. I find it freeing to complete a two-page essay on herbal supplements or motor biking in less than an hour. The pay is awful, but what writing job does pay well? This kind of work also loosens me up for working on my travel essays. In the back of my head, I know this will be the book I sell before I get more poetry out into the world.


Do you use writing prompts?
I use old journals and photographs. I also like going to museums or galleries to riff off of paintings. Some of my favorite poems come from photo prompts. As far as using journals for prompts, I go through my old work and highlight sentences that jump out at me. I go back to these highlighted passages as prompts. I also own several books containing different culture's mythology. I've pulled inspiration from these stories a lot over the past year.
My printmaking work also inspires me. I print a lot for other artists, and I find their work often prompts a creative desire in me, and it often translates into poetry.


What are some other ways you get started writing poetry?
Jogging. No joke. I write in my head a lot, and I do that best when I'm jogging. This past year has been slow, mostly because I'm recovering from an injury, and cannot run like I did before. After grad school, I've been a little slower in general. It's hard to write after writing so much.


How often do you submit? What influences those choices? Do you have any current publications and/or upcoming publications?

At this point in my career, I'm not publishing. My plan is to send work from my manuscript out to journals and reviews, in hopes of acquiring a half dozen or so publications, then shop the manuscript, mainly through those awful "first book" contests. Right now, I'm not at a place where I'm doing this. I know I should. There's no excuse for it. I think I'm avoiding it until I find steady work. I don't think my ego can handle rejection letters from jobs and journals showing up at the same time.



On the Most Wanted Fine Art Collective:

How did you get involved with Most Wanted Fine Art Collective?

Most Wanted is owned by Jason Sauer and Kimberly Metcho. Jason and I attended undergrad together at Edinboro University. The Most Wanted Fine Art Collective started as a traveling event, displaying art and featuring musicians at different venues, mostly in Pittsburgh. In 2007, I started running three-featured student writers at the Final Fridays event at the Birmingham Bridge Tavern (the temporary home of Most Wanted, prior to the gallery opening at 5015 Penn Ave in Garfield). This series lasted a year. After that, the three of us decided to step it up a bit. We then started the Pot Luck Readers Series at the new gallery space. These readings featured great authors, such as Kirk Nesset, Sam Hazo, and Jim Coppoc, among others. Right now, the readings are sporadic, based more on need of local authors and a few national writers touring through the area. Pittsburgh is a big town for poets, so we aren't the only gig in town (let alone, on the block).

My position with MW is of volunteer capacity, mostly working as a programming coordinator. We've expanded to musical events, and hope to incorporate multimedia presentations and films at some point.


How do you decide which events to promote/create?
Most of the readings come out of a desire to see them happen. Occasionally, I get the perfect features on the right night, and magic happens. Other times, I host amazing performances where only a few people show up. It's good to have a bottle of champagne on hand for these moments. Nothing lifts the human spirit like a hearty toast among strangers.

Some of the smaller events, like the Chatham graduate class readings, come out of a desire to provide opportunity. I feel very strongly about giving other writers the chance to be heard. It's worth it to see someone get behind the mic for the first or second time, and give an amazing performance.

Sometimes I contact a writer I'd love to see. Sometimes they say yes. Others, like in the case of Joe Meno, say nice things that translate to "not now, but maybe another time when I'm touring a book out that way". I'm still hoping to host Joe Meno someday at the gallery. The best decision is to never give up hope. Not every event turns out awesome. If they did, I'd most likely be bored of it by now.


S
ome Advice on the Job Hunt


How do you go about looking for a job that uses your degree?
Well, for me, it's all about experience. I think of my degree as a key and my experience as the door handle. The combination won't open every door, but it at least unlocks some and gives me the courage to knock at others. I've applied for jobs in teaching, arts administration, alumni relations, marketing, online and media publication, bank tellers, make up counters, nanny positions, foreign language instructors, and ESL tutors. The decade before my time in grad school was full of travel, arts administration work in the academic and non-profit sectors, printmaking, publication design, writing, and personal assistant work, all while completing an undergraduate degree (I went mostly part time for about seven years).

Do you use connections, apply online, etc? Some of our readers have been having some problems with this. Do you have any advice?
I apply online a lot. ALWAYS include a cover letter online. I've found that my callbacks and interviews only come when a cover letter is accepted with the application. This is my chance to shine, and I take it whenever it's given.

Connections are very important, especially in this market. I ask friends and professional contacts for references, resume reviews, and to keep a look out for good fitting positions. I get about half my interviews through this method. I also keep my eyes and ears open. I had a family who interviewed me as a nanny, and then recommended me for an interview with a clothing company. You never know what will happen.

My best advice is to volunteer and keep yourself professionally active. If you have downtime, a potential employer will want to see that you filled it with more than job applications and soap operas. I work with at least two volunteer groups at all times. I like to have one be arts related, and the other a cause I feel strongly about. As a professional, you should consider it a privilege to give back to the community. I know I do. I've done everything from pulling tires out of the river to guest bar tending at fundraisers, and pro-bono editing or publication work. I consider the free readings I host a community service as well. There are plenty of organizations looking for young talent to fill their volunteer pool. Pittsburgh is especially great for young adults who are interested in the arts or environmental work.


Courtney Lora Lang is both a poet and a printmaker. She received her BA from Edinboro University of Pennsylvania in 2005, and completed an MFA in Creative Writing at Chatham University in 2008. Her writing has appeared in journals such as Opium Magazine, Chimera: A Journal of Art and Literature, and The Muse Apprentice Guild. As a printmaker, she has worked with some very talented humans, many through her past position as Assistant Director of Egress Press and Research. Her love of printmaking took her to Italy in 2006, where she made new work at Il Bisonte in Florence. As a graduate student, Ms. Lang traveled with her fellow students to Costa Rica, Ecuador, and the Galapagos Islands. Ms. Lang enjoys traveling, and her poetry often reflects the landscapes of the Americas.

Her current endeavors include jogging, cleaning out all the stuffed-up crannies in her home, teaching English at Edinboro University, and working as the Writing and Grants Consultant for Bricks PGH, a non-profit, young adult cancer support organization. She is also a member of the Most Wanted Fine Art Collective. Ms. Lang currently lives in Washington, PA with her dog, Zoƫ.

Comments

Popular Posts