Three poems by Chris Goodman


Love, Obsession and the Truth About Why I Don't Sleep at Night

Love is not your ear to the ceiling
Guessing what color her stockings are
And listening to her walk back and forth
All night

Love is not the looks you give strange men
Coming out of her apartment
Or the smiles you give her in the hallway
Like you have no idea what she does up there

Love is not curling up in an empty bathtub
Every time you hear her turn the water on
And listening to her shower ten feet above you

Love has nothing to do with the Chapstick she dropped in the hallway
Or the coffee cup she threw away outside

Love is not the box you keep these things in
Nor the contents of that box

***


First Poem

He hung himself in the family garden
His family found him that evening
The note in his pocket read:
"I am already tired..."

***

Trust

I see my reflection
In sidewalks
And smashed out windows
As I wander these streets
Just to be outside
To be anywhere but the apartment
The night tightens its jaws around my neck
And I see my reflection
In burning buildings
And abandoned playgrounds
True beauty is offered to me daily
But I always turn it down
I always walk away
Pain, depression, desperation...
I can rely on
They don't turn on you
At least not the same way love will

Chris Goodman is a resident of Greensburg, PA. He suggests doing whatever inspires you often, going to see people read poems live and listening to John Coltrane. He has no formal writing education but is thankful for his friends that do.

Comments

Popular Posts