Three New Poems by Three New Authors

Fall All Around
by Curtis Tompkins



A weeping cherry blossom's leaves
have made an innocent mess
of the street-side & our townhouse 
lawn no bigger than a decent rug,
as a woman comes limping by 
looking like the jack-o-lantern
on her chest, covering her heart.


She's a grandmother in an orange
sweater sewn to a pumpkin
face a few days before Halloween.
It's an unnatural orange 
that only natural things burn 
through in their dying
like the hundred eye-shaped leaves
out in front of the house and on the sidewalk.


I blow smoke through the window screen
past our tree which outlives the block
of average, nameless saplings 
which the city put up, dead
already, past the high frosted church
steeples, over the town into mountains
where everything leaks wood fire
during these burning months, and this cold
in my head has made my cigarette smell
and taste just the same. I snub it out. 
I'm getting older –– with every sickness
they get harder harder to shake –– every grandmother
in her homemade sweater is growing
closer to the end of my age. 


Prose artist Curtis Tompkins lives and writes in the Allegheny Highlands of western Maryland.  His prose, poetry, and reviews have appeared most recently in DuctsPrick of the SpindleThe Broadkill ReviewReview RevuePlain Spoke, and Backbone Mountain Review.


******************************



Ballast
by Eric Miller

Saltwater tears flow
over mildewed sponge
memories and barnacle
regrets, but fail to carry
them over the dam in
ropes of cascading water
to a place of lost
remembrances

They stay with me as
excess baggage, serving
as ballast to keep me on
the straight and narrow
course which I try to chart
as I hold my sextant to the
stars

Eric Miller is a retired dentist who has laid down his drill for a quill. His work appears or is forthcoming in many publications, a few of which are Foundling Review, Bartleby-Snopes, Calliope Nerve, Troubadour 21, Short Humor, Writers' Bloc (Rutgers), Poetry Friends, Stories that Lift, and The Storyteller.


***************************
Plain Speech
by Meredith Legg


I could speak plainly
or dress my language in
heavy ugly symbols
like lead shackles
and slackened somethings.

I could speak plainly
when the sun is new
and my skin is hot
and the muggy air
suffocates the pours
and speech dissolves
into heated beads of sweat.

I could flick my hair
to one side, stand on
one foot, stretch,
catch my breath. Heat
immobilizes my body.
Stifling humid yellow.
On this ugly day
I'd just like to stay inside
and speak plainly, I could.

Meredith Legg is a graduate student of Political Science at the University of Central Florida. This is what happens when a poet goes to grad school.




****************************
Don't forget to follow No Teeth on twitter!  http://twitter.com/noteethpoetry

Comments

Popular Posts